January 18, 2013

Welcome to F*&#ing 2013

This has been one of those weeks where both nothing and some of everything has happened. As early as Monday I knew the week would probably be a bust because my boss's dad passed away and she was going to be quite distracted. Then we had FHE, which went slightly better than last week. We talked about working together and how, when everyone does their part, everyone receives the reward/blessing. Plans for a garden continue, and the brownies were good. Then Tuesday, the weather got dicey, so I left work at 11:15 after only two hours. I made it home ahead of most of the traffic and before the ice and snow accumulated too much. School started at 10:00 on Wednesday, so I got to work later then usual. Thursday, I was off to take B to the orthodontist. He got his bottom braces put on and was not a happy camper about it. Then last night, we saw some real action.

Wednesday night, I saw a rat run through the house, but I couldn't figure out where it went, and the dog didn't seem too concerned. Then Thursday morning, he appeared to have it cornered. I left him to it, but the rat managed to escape. I bought traps and set them out, but didn't have a chance to tell anyone. So last night B, already more touchy than usual, headed to bed when I heard a ridiculous scream. I went in his room to find him almost in tears, and the rat peeking out from the top of the curtain. I got the broom and the dog, positioned B to direct the rat, told D, who was awake by now to hide his eyes, then whacked the curtain. All hell broke loose as the rat made for the door. The dog got him, and it was over fairly quickly. The limp rat got disposed of, and the dog got a treat to replace the one he had earned. I always look for signs of mice when the weather gets cold, when I get out Christmas decorations, etc. and I have not seen signs of mice or rodents, so I think it maybe got inside and couldn't figure out how to get away. Anyways, pretty sure it was a once-in-a-while kind of deal, but we'll all be a little creeped out for a few days. Nice to know the dog knows what is expected of him though :)

Then today, I noticed my van making a weird noise. It drove fine, so I headed to work. I was almost there when the transmission went out. So today, I left work early, again, to deal with that. It took all afternoon, but I have a rental car and permission to leave the car where it sits until Monday if needed. And I actually had plans for tomorrow that may or may not work out. It sort of depends on how/when the van can be retrieved. Then of course the decision about whether it can be fixed or if I will be in the market for a new car. I was hoping for one, but not until later in the spring, so we'll see how that goes. Not how my weekend, or my week for that matter was supposed to go at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment