August 30, 2010

Virtually Immortal

When B was a baby, about 10 years ago, my sister-in-law was working on a booklet about newborn care for DHS. She asked if we would be her models for a photo of a mom breastfeeding her baby. At the time, her organization also had a very public campaign about the importance of getting a flu shot that included billboards near the interstate. After she assured me that the back of B's head would not be plastered all over the greater metropolitan area, I agreed to do it.

As promised, the whole thing was pretty painless. When the booklets were printed, she gave me a couple to put in B's time capsule. Then every once in awhile for a couple of years I would see the booklets in different places. I haven't seen the booklets in a couple of years, and had sort of forgotten about them.

Then the other day, my sister-in-law put me in touch with a friend of hers to do some graphic art work for our new business. Toward the end of the call, the friend asked if I was the sister-in-law that...Before she even finished, I knew what she was going to ask. I confirmed that I was indeed the breastfeeding mom from the booklet.

Today I looked to see if the booklet was still available. It was revised a couple of years ago, but the photos are the same. Although we didn't get a billboard, B and I can still be found on page 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment