September 22, 2011

The Secrets That I Keep

My niece had an abortion when she was 16. I don't know who else she has told, but I have never told anyone.

I am 95% sure my boss was sexually molested when she was around 13 or 14 but I don't want to ask her directly.

I have an acquaintance whose husband has a sexual relationship with his stepdaughter from a previous marriage. M would like to report him, but she is currently trying to adopt his three younger kids and doesn't want to jeopardize that. If she waits to report him, she has to hope it doesn't come out in a divorce that she knew something and didn't report it. I am not supposed to know about it at all.

I have another acquaintance that has cancer. When his name comes up in a meeting, I don't say that I know why he has been out of the loop so much lately.

I met with a student for an independent study project. After about two hours of talking with her about her proposed project, I have reason to be concerned for her, but after the first interview, she stopped contacting me. I can't contact her because of school security.

My mom tried to commit suicide once.

I got a DUI once. It's not a secret, although I don't think my family knows about it. What is a secret is how badly I really crave a drink most days. The bigger secret is how I manage to sneak one in once in awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment