July 26, 2013

Contents of a 13 year-old boy's backpack...

So I mentioned some concern about B possibly smoking. Last night I had the opportunity to take a peek in the sport pack he carries everywhere. Right off the bat I noticed a lighter, so I proceeded to look for cigarettes, or signs of cigarettes. I found an iPhone speaker, headphones, 2 packs of gum, his wrist wallet with his house key and a dollar, some Axe, but no smokes. I did find a crumpled paper sack, which I suspected might be fireworks, and then another paper sack folded up small and taped shut. Oh, hell no. Not being able to smell, I gently opened it, expecting the worst.

My excitement about NOT FINDING POT turned to dismay as I recognized the contents - condoms. I glanced in the other bag, which also contained condoms. What I had here was standard-issue health department condoms, complete with the mini-booklet entitled "How to use condoms". Well then.

I was so relieved that it wasn't something worse, that I just stuck everything back the best I could and returned the sack, including the lighter.

After much thought, I am wondering why he is carrying a lighter around, still on the alert for signs of smoking, but definitely glad that if I had to find a conversation starter it was condoms and not drugs.

It will just be the two of us on the drive up to Branson, so we'll see what comes of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment