March 31, 2010

Backroads and Honeysuckle

Signs of spring so far:
the return of the birds
allergies
Frostee Treats (I can hear them, but have yet to see them on our street)
Get Yur Crawdad signs
strawberry shortcake at the Bulldog
and of course, blooming things (except for those poor naked crepe myrtle trees).

Everywhere, things are blooming.  I saw honeysuckle the other day and remembered how much I used to love the smell of honeysuckle.  We used to have a whole section of our back fence covered in it, but my husband took it out because it was ruining the fence.  (He also cut down the forsythia bush and mowed over the tulips, but I'm not bitter.)

Honeysuckle is not one of those smells I would want for shampoo, or perfume if I still wore it, as it is wa-ay too sweet.  I remember it was best enjoyed on a day when I took the backroads - windows down, because it was not too hot yet, road trip music on the stereo.  I would smell it before I saw it, growing thick and wild along the fence rows.  Then just as I'd think "mmm, honeysuckle", the wind would shift, I'd round the curve, and it was gone.

I still take those roads, and still play those songs, and the smell is still gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment