March 30, 2010

Serious Shoes for Serious Sandwiches

Today I went to Jimmy's to get a sandwich.  On the way I was thinking that I should have called ahead because it always take so long.  I get there, order and sit down.  A few minutes later another lady comes in.  She had already phoned in her order, but it wasn't ready, so I made a place for her to sit down too.  Another few minutes later I made the comment to her that calling ahead didn't seem to have helped, as she had been waiting a while too.  More people came in, ordered and waited.

Then along comes another lady.  She had very blond hair, very high heels and what my husband refers to as too much self-esteem.  At first I thought she was younger than I am, but a closer look put her at least around my age.  She had apparently phoned her order in too, and it was ready in just a few minutes.

As she walked pranced back out the door, the other lady commented that she should have called ahead sooner.  I commented that maybe we just hadn't worn the right shoes.  She looked down at my black loafers and her sensible black shoes, then over at the high-heeled purple sandals with the cascade of flowers and just fell out laughing.

No comments:

Post a Comment