July 25, 2011

Road Trippin'

I have had a post in mind where I did an inventory, if you will, of my life now vs. a year ago. I finally decided that the reason I was having a hard time getting started on it was because nothing has changed much, and certainly is not much better. I decided that rather than spell out the details, I would leave it at "another year older, another year wiser".

All that wisdom didn't keep me from taking on a last minute road trip. We decided late in the day on Thursday that we would go to OK after all. We left after work and got there late Thursday night. Of course my kids don't sleep in, so we were up at our usual time. We spent the afternoon at a water park, and went out to dinner. Afterward, my nephew and I stayed up until 2 a.m. just talking, then up the next morning to get ready for more family stuff. We left about 5:30 Saturday night and got home after midnight. Up again on Sunday for church. Up late on Sunday waiting for B to get home with grandparents. Now it is Monday afternoon and I am sitting here feeling 20 years older and none the wiser.

Gone are the days when nothing interesting ever started until at least 9 p.m. Gone are the days we thought nothing of driving to Dallas or Memphis just because we had friends there and we could. Gone are the days when a few hours of sleep will get me through most anything but a Saturday night bar shift. (Gone are Saturday night bar shifts). I don't miss most of that stuff, and I had a great time with family and friends, but I am definitely too old to pull it off as often as I used to.

Now to get my head together enough to get some work done so I can take Friday off again ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment