April 17, 2010

Family Business

I am impulsive in many ways, too often leaping before I look, speaking before I think.  The one area where I could be considered conservative is with money.  I seldom make an impulse purchase, am good about setting and sticking to a budget, and like to have a solid savings plan in place.

Add to that our past record with owning a business.  Yes, we still have the apartments, and most of the time they pay for themselves, but they are certainly not making any extra money for the effort we put into them.

So needless to say, I am freaking out more than a little about the prospect of L leaving his job and starting a new venture.  He may not have much choice about the leaving part.  He knows his job is on the line, but refuses to give them cause for letting him go, and is not going to walk away without a new plan in place, if possible.

He knows what sort of jobs he is qualified to do.  He knows what sort of jobs he is interested in doing.  He knows what jobs he is willing to consider, if necessary.  Weed out the jobs that keep him away from home and family more than he likes, and the idea of going back into business for himself looks good.

We have done the homework on this business before and the potential is good.  But factor in that daycare and healthcare currently come out of L's salary.  Factor in that he won't actually be bringing home the equivalent of a salary for awhile.  Factor in that we have a modest amount of savings meant for emergencies.  Even a person less conservative than I am would have to take a look at the situation and give it very serious thought before jumping in.

For now the big stressor for L will be hanging on to a job he doesn't really want until the last possible minute, without getting fired first.  The big stressor for me is preparing myself for being less financially secure than I like to be.  If we proceed, I know that L will do everything he possibly can to make it a success, and I will do everything I can to support him.

Ask me in six months about my biggest source of stress.  It will be one part our financial situation.  It will be three parts whether or not L remembers that part of providing for his family includes more than just bringing home a salary.

No comments:

Post a Comment