August 1, 2011

What to Do?

Yesterday, one of the nursery workers at church came to me to ask what she should do if she suspected one of the nursery kids was being abused. I asked her a few questions to stall for time, because I wasn't sure what to do. As an employee of a social service agency, I am familiar with what it means to be a mandated reporter and the answer is very cut and dried. As a member of the church and the person responsible for the children's program, I wasn't sure what the policy was. I should know this, and am pretty sure I know where to look for the info, but I also didn't want to delay action if someone is being maltreated.

When she disclosed the name of the child, I was sort of dismissive and just asked another question. I told her I was just asking so I would have an idea of how to proceed, which was true. So we talked a bit, and made a decision about what we should do. I feel OK about that decision, even if I did just basically hand the responsibility off to someone else. And I feel disappointed that someone I know might be guilty of inappropriate behavior, especially harming a child. And my heart aches for the little girl, who is so sweet and adorable and always takes my hand and follows me wherever I take her.

The feeling that surprises me though is how much I really didn't want to know who she was talking about. Did I think it couldn't happen among people I know, especially at church? No, I know enough about child abuse to know that it really does happen in every kind of family, in every kind of situation. Was I afraid it was a close friend, maybe something I should have seen myself? Maybe a little. The truth is, I don't know why I was so reluctant to know the specifics. But the other disturbing thing is that I am maybe not as surprised as I could be by the name she gave. And now that I know the buck has been passed, I am a little curious to see what transpires.

And of course I will be praying that a little girl is OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment