October 30, 2010

Ellie and Bubba J - Chapter 1

I met him in college. I was 18. He was a couple of years older. I really don't remember "meeting" him, just that I sort of became aware of him and he seemed like someone I would like to know better. For some reason I was hanging around his suite when he and some friends were discussing spring break. A suggestion turned into a plan, and a friend and I ended up going to California with him and a couple of other people.

After spring break, my friend started a new job, my room mate moved in with her boyfriend, and it seemed like everyone was preoccupied with finals and summer plans. Then my grandma passed away. My parents called about me taking a bus home for the funeral, and I went to retrieve my atlas from him so I could look at the route. I remember him laughing when I asked for it, probably thinking it was an excuse of some kind. Afterward, I sort of started coming around again until one night I just didn't leave. Then we just hung out all the time. I blew off friends, and whatever classes I could so I wouldn't miss a chance to spend time with him before the semester ended. The day he left, I cried like the biggest baby ever. I wrote him once, and moped over him for awhile. The next fall, I fished around a bit for info, but knew he had moved on and so did I.

I thought about him off and on for the next 20+ years, until about six months ago when I thought to look him up on Facebook. There he was looking very much like I remembered. I sent him an email, and was surprised to hear back from him right away. Within a pretty short time, we were emailing and chatting back and forth, and spending almost as much time together as we had when we were actually a thing. Then it sort of turned into a thing again.

to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment