January 5, 2011

Speed

So as I've said before, I took speed sometimes in college. Lying in bed unable to sleep last night, I remembered the two events that made me decide to quit doing it.

The first thing that happened was a spectacular crash. I was off work as a pizza cook, but I was hanging around talking to one of the drivers. So as to stay out of the way, I climbed up on a pallet of flour. The manager found me a little while later, fast asleep in the middle of a Friday night rush. Apparently Paul's turn had come around and he just left me there. The boss sent me home immediately.

The second thing that happened was scarier. It had been a really stressful week and I had been working more than normal. When I got off work, I went straight home and went to sleep, about six in the evening. I had a dream that orders were coming in crazy fast, and I was starting to get stressed. I was a great pizza maker, fast and accurate even when we were extremely busy. The problem was that I couldn't find the printer. I was cursing the drivers, who I thought must have hidden it from me as a prank. Eventually I fell asleep, and stayed asleep until my boyfriend got home. When he walked in, he did the classic "WTH happened here?" I looked around and it all came back.

I had torn the apartment apart, looking for the stupid printer! Books off the shelves, cushions off the couch, the works. It looked like when an apartment gets tossed in the movies. Fortunately, I didn't have a lot in the way of possessions so it didn't take long to clean up. It also didn't take a lot to decide that was the last time I would do speed.

So why was I lying awake last night? Not sure. It certainly wasn't because that stupid Sugar Bowl game was very stimulating. The first half flew by, I napped during the third quarter, and I woke to see that when things had finally gotten interesting, it was too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment