March 30, 2011

Stupid Hat

So I am meeting my sister-in-law for a night out. I always have fun going out with her because she attracts interesting, creative people. We meet in a bar where everything is a shade of brown, so the whole place has a kind of 40's feel. At some point she pulls out a hat she has been making to show me. It is very, umm, interesting. It looks like something Lady Gaga might wear, as far as the construction of it. It is made of flexible wire wrapped in fabric. It is circular in shape, so it wants to keep folding up on itself. It sort of holds its shape as long as someone is wearing it, but then it folds itself back into a flat circle as soon as you take it off. The coolest thing about it is the fabric, which is a pale greyish pink silk. The whole thing is pretty feminine, except for the fact that wires keep poking me in the side of the head. I laid the hat down, but then when it came time to move on to another place, K freaked out that I wasn't wearing the hat. She insisted that I put it back on. It was raining out, and I tried to fold it back up and put it away, but she was adamant that I wear it (as if it was doing anything to keep the rain off). When we got to the next place, she was very upset with me. "How am I supposed to sell any hats if I can't even get you to wear one?" I was thinking, but didn't say, that it might help to sell a hat if it actually looked like a freakin' hat. Instead, I tried to humor her by wearing the flimsy pink covered spiral for the rest of the night as we went from place to place. Not the funnest time I have ever had with her, and probably the first time I was the weirdest member of her entourage.

No comments:

Post a Comment