July 12, 2010

Lowered Expectations

I am an expert at lowered expectations. Just when an outsider might think I have reached an new low, I find a way to rationalize, or accommodate, or blatantly ignore, and "make do". Some of the concessions I make are probably not that dramatic, just what you do when you are the wife, the mom or the employee who wants to see everything go smoothly. But sometimes I get really tired of being the one whose schedule, or needs, or interests, come last.

The last time I made a scene about it, I scored a minor point. I now get one Saturday a month to do my own thing. I go to a writers' group meeting, which is pretty interesting. Not a lot to show for it yet, but I have met some new people and at least started trying to write on a regular basis.

I am about to make a scene again. Not sure yet quite what point I want to make, and definitely not sure how it will turn out. But I have been thinking a lot about it, and I think I am going to start by expecting better, if not the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment