July 13, 2010

Music Lessons

B is certainly not going to inherit any musical ability from me. But after listening to Radio Disney all the way home yesterday, I have decided that I owe it to both of us to at least teach him some basic music appreciation. He has the entire Beatle's boxed set on his mp3 player, which is a good start. He identifies songs by the movies or commercials, which at least means he's listening. He has favorites on Guitar Hero, which is something I guess.

I think the next step is to help him start distinguishing between good, bad and ordinary, the criteria of course being what I am willing to listen to :)

His first test will be his ability to identify the following:
~ Ozzy/Black Sabbath
~ Metallica
~ Nirvana
~ Beastie Boys
~ Green Day
~ Bob Marley
~ The Who
~ The Ramones
~ Johnny Cash
~ the use of a voice modulator
~ bass line/chord progression
We will work our way up to him being able to tell the difference between a cover and the original, as well as the difference between talent and celebrity.

Oh, I know he'll outgrow Radio Disney eventually, but I think I'll just help speed the process along :) Remind me in five years, when he he is listening to some total crap, that I encouraged this very thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment